Written by Cebby
I know, I know... Everybody knows how to change their oil, right?
Well, we all start somewhere. For me, it has been a long time - I had to review the instructions in my Service Manual when I did it recently. Other folks changing it for me too often. Well, if you plan to keep your rig for a long time, do maintenance yourself, or make modifications, it is a good idea to get at least the standard Service Manual. The part number for the 2000 model year Grand Cherokee is 81-370-0047. You can order your service manual from MasterTech at (800) 890-4038. The following instructions came from the service manual.
Change engine oil at mileage and time intervals described in the Maintenance Schedules (Schedule A = Normal Use = every 7500 miles or 6 months or Schedule B = Severe Use = every 3000 miles. Severe use includes frequent short trips <5 miles, use in dusty conditions, extensive idling, trailer towingsustained high speeds, off road driving, desert operation, frequent starting/stopping, and cold climate operation.
- Run engine until achieving normal operating tempurature.
- Position the vehicle on a level surface and turn the engine off.
- Hoist and Support vehicle on safety (jack) stands. (My GC is llifted 2", so this is unnecessary for me.
- Remove oil fill cap.
- Place a suitable drain pan under engine oilpan drain.
- Remove drain plug from engine oil pan and allow oil to drain into drain pan. Inspect drain plug threads for stretching or other damage. Replace drain plug if damaged.
- Reinstall the oilpan drain plug. Tighten to 25 ft. lbs.
- Lower the vehicle if it was raised up previously.
- Position a drain pan under oil filter.
- Using a suitable oil filter wrench (if needed) and loosen filter.
- Rotate the oil filter counterclockwise to remove it from the cylinder block oil filter boss.
- When the filter separates from the cylinder block oil filter boss, tip the gasket (open) end of the filter up to minimize oil spill. Remove filter from the vehicle.
- With a wiping cloth, clean the gasket sealing surface of oil and grime.
- Lightly lubricate oil filter gasket with engine oil (I use axle grease)
- Pour a small amount of oil into the filter (not called for in service manual, but I do it)
- Thread filter on to adapter nipple. When the gasket imakes contact with the sealing surface, hand tighten the filter one full turn, do not overtighten.
- Refill engine with specified oil (10w30 preferred with temp at 0°F and up primarily or 5w30 with temp at 32°F and below primarily). Oil capacity is 6 quarts.
- Install oil fill cap.
- Start engine and inspect for leaks.
- Stop engine and inspect oil level.